“ Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. --Imogen Cunningham

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fun places to visit/do with your kids this summer

Every summer, my kids would complain that they are so bored at home. Told them that I would put them in summer school but then they all screamed and yelled and said "heck no". Well, then don't complain. So, to stop them from complaining less this year, lols, I have some few agendas up my sleeve for them. Done a lot of looking online trying to find activities to do with them during the week and on the weekends that it's not already filled with other activities.

So I've decided to share with everyone who has kids or grand kids, nieces, nephews on all the cool and some inexpensive ideas that you could do this summer. Some of these ideas/activities we've done in the past as family already. So, take your whining kids out and hope you enjoy the short summer together! I know I will definitely do that!

I got this information from a FB friend Stacy after complaining how expensive tickets were for Great America and for Wisconsin Dells. She referred me to check local Children's Museum for discounts on the tickets. Boy oh boy...she made my day! Tickets were almost cut in half from the original tickets!

Check below!!!


Below are just some other suggestions:

1) A very inexpensive family activity is to take your children for a walk at a close by nature center trail. We try to do this every year. Sometimes they complain about it but in the end...they get a good exercise!

2) Beach. We take the kids to Manitowac beach and Sheboygan beach at least 1x or 2x per summer. We usually just pack some already cooked food and then eat there. This saves us time, that means more time splashing, frolicking in the water and trying to build sand castles!

3) Visiting lighthouses. We haven't done this yet but would love to try to visit one this summer! We have a light house in Manitowac in mind. Can't wait!

4) Local park. Try to find a park that has a man made pond or even a stream, etc for the kids to go fishing. We have one here in Appleton. We always go to Memorial Park and have the kids fish there. There is also a small botanical garden right in the park too which is a double plus! You can find some kites at your local Dollar Store and take the kids out to fly kites too. We've done that in the past and kids had a blast!

5) High Cliff State Park

6) Devil's Lake

7) Petting Zoo at Plammen Park in Appleton. They also have trails there too and a perfect place to fly kites!

8) Door County...Penninsula State Park and other local parks nearby. EVERYONE has to visit this area. It is an absolute beauty!

9) Local fishing stream or rivers. We usually take the kids to fish at Oconto...about 15 minutes away from Green Bay. River is very shallow so the kids can play in the water and try to catch cray fishes as well as fish. We bring lunch and just eat there whenever kids are hungry. This is always fun for us!

10) Library!!! People always tend to forget that the library is always open in the summer too! I know for sure I do! This summer, I will try to take my kids to the library once every week.

11) Bay Beach!! Ticket $.25 per tickets. I believe most expensive ride will cost you about 4 tickets which is $1.00 for a ride.

12) Cherry, raspberry and strawberry picking up in Door County. This is always a delight for the family!


You can always google up ideas/activities that is around your neighborhood too!!

 I hope everyone has a wonderful summer and enjoy it while it last because here in Wisconsin and the bordering states, our summer does not last very long.






There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.  ~Celia Thaxter










 


No comments:

Post a Comment