“ Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. --Imogen Cunningham

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Being Thrifty!

Call me cheap...well, sorta anyways. I love going to thrift stores and finding outfits, furniture and antiques. It's been a while since I've gone to the thrift store so I decided that since today was such a beautiful day, I wanted to go thrift store shopping!! Besides, I wanted to see if there was any nice vintage outfits or dresses that I could buy to use towards future photo shoots!! I went to 2 different thrift stores. Check out the outfits below!

Sorry, pictures were taken with my hand held point & shoot Sony camera only so the quality is not all that good. 

 The two pictures below are from the 1st thrift store. Can't remember what the store was called. It's a church owned/operated store.

Picture below: Sleeping gown. Looks vintage. LOVE it!! It was only $3.00!! I'll add some laces/sash to it to brighten it up a bit more since it's all white!

 Picture below: Red dress. $7.00!! I'll add some sequins to it to make it sparkle!!

My 2nd store was St. Vincent De Paul store.

Picture below: Red dress w/ sequins in the front. $30.00 but all gowns were 50% off so I got it for only $15.00!!
 Picture below: Soft blue dress. $7.00 w/ 50% off so it was only $3.50!! I'll add some laces/sequins/sash to the dress to sparkle it up a bit more!
So I didn't do too bad at the thrift stores today. Total spent on these were only $28.50!! Wow!!

I wanted to head out to the mall afterwards to see if I can find something for my brother in law's baby. So I stopped at the Fox River Mall in Grand Chute and decided to go into the kids clothing store Crazy 8. Their prices are pretty reasonable and I usually like their "clearance" racks as it was usually pretty cheap. This is what I found from the store:

(BEFORE)

It was cute. Original price was $32.99 on sale for $11.99 w/ an additional 30% off which was like $8.99. What a steal!! Soooooo, I had to buy it of course because it was absolutely gorgeous! Well, before I bought it, I thought it was a little plain but hey, for this price? What the heck! I decided that it needed some sequins/sparkle to the dress so after I made a purchase of this dress and another cutie dress (which I didn't take a picture of) I headed out to Jo Anne's fabric store by the mall. Bought some cute sparkly beads, flowers and ribbon and headed home to add them on to the little princess dress.

Here's the dress after I added the flowers, sequins and ribbon to it. It's absolutely even more beautiful now!!! I actually want to keep it for myself...hahahaha!!! Okay, I have to give it!!

Do you see the difference? What I added? Scroll up to check the "before" dress and then scroll down for the after dress. Let me know what you think!

(AFTER)
I think that if I was to buy this dress like this now...it would probably be about $40.00!! I spent a total of about $10.00 for the ribbon/flowers/sequins and thread. It's still an awesome buy! LOVE it!!

The dresses that I bought from the thrift stores I am planning to use it for future photo shoots so stay tuned for the photos!!


"Second hand store merchandise sometimes is junk,
there are other times where we have found some great bargains
."
Catherine Pulsifer

No comments:

Post a Comment