“ Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. --Imogen Cunningham

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Looking Forward

Okay, so I know I've been neglecting my blog, that's because I'm still trying to hammer out this winter weather blues. Some days I'm feeling fancy and some other days, I'm just feeling like snow slushy. I haven't been sewing nor taking any pictures lately. I aught to do more of it but again, "trying" is really not on my agenda when my mind/spirit is not all put together. Gosh when will this weather get any better? I guess this is Wisconsin weather, one minute it's nice and sunny out, the next minute it's like a snow storm passing through! One thing I'm sure looking forward to this spring is.........*drum rolls.......

 Fishing! We love to go fishing in middle of April to middle of May for white bass. Yes, my husband has me addicted to fishing. Can't get enough. One thing I don't do while fishing is putting worms on my hook! Ewww!! I can tolerate putting minnows on it although sometimes I still squirm about it once in a while. I also "hate" to unhook the slimy fish from my fishing pole. I usually nag at my husband to do that for me.

I love to cook fish. I usually marinate the fish with herbs, etc (my mouth is watering right now!) and also baking the fish with stuff herbs! Yummi! I should do a blog later on (when fishing season arrives) on how to cook fishes! I have some of my favorite recipes for this!  My kids love fishing with us as well and they keep asking when will it be fishing season again.

My husband and I had the opportunity to go to North Dakota a few years back and go white bass fishing there in Devil's Lake, ND. We went with a good friend/couple of ours. I would love to go again and do a photo shoot there. This place is beautiful. Everywhere you look, it's water! Water to your right, water to your left and water in front of you! It's breathless! Here are some pictures of North Dakota when we went.
 Above picture: After a long day of fishing, we settled next to the lake and cooked some hmong style rice with of course our main entree: Fish! It was super yumi! Look below, the fish we cooked and gobbled up!

Above picture: Morning time, time to go home. We fished a little bit more and had to leave. We caught a cooler full of fishes within 2 hrs!
 Above picture: The morning of leaving, I woke up late..okay, so I was lazy! After everyone caught like dozens of fishes, I finally got my lazy ass up and fished. Caught my very 1st fish for the day!
 Above picture: Husband fishing during sunrise.
 Above picture: This was what we mostly saw...dead trees in water!
 Above picture: This was when we first got to our destination and getting all our fishing gear out of our van. This is a view from the fishing area.
 Husband and uncle Yer (a good friend of ours) walking to find a good fishing spot. As you can see, water to the right and water to the left and up ahead is just hills and valleys of grasses!!
 Above picture: After the rain on our first day we got there.

 Above picture: Hubby and uncle Yer unhooking the fish they just caught!
Fishing tips:
1) Always be careful of your fishing area/surrounding. Pay attention to slippery rocks/cliffs/grasses as well as people.
2) White bass fishing is usually around mid April to about mid May or usually it ends by memorial weekend, depending on the temperature outside, or like husband and I usually put it, when the lilacs start blooming is when fish starts swimming!
3) Make sure you have fishing license. It's cheaper if you purchase fishing license as husband and wife. There's a hefty fine if you don't have one! Once in a while, DNR will stop YOU so please have one!
4) Depending which state you live in, you should always check what the limit of the fishes you can keep. For Wisconsin, there is ZERO limit on the white basses meaning you can have coolers and coolers of them. Be sure to check the limit for other fishes though!!
5) Last but not least, just have fun and enjoy the nature around you as well as spending some quality time with yourself or your loved ones/friends that are there fishing with you!

Again, check back for recipes in the near future for how to cook fishes!

Below is a quote I found about fishing. It's sooooo represents me! lols!!!

Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting.  ~Dave Barry

4 comments:

  1. mmmm...you guys make fishing look so fun, not to mention delicious!! Beautiful scenic pics too nyab. I am sort of looking forward to fishing again when the weather gets warmer but I haven't really caught anything the few times that I have tried and also Ty hates it when I use his fishing pole because he's scared I might throw the fishing pole instead of just the line into the water when I cast. ahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. @prettygeeky- Kay, I could totally see you throwing the fishing pole into the water instead!Lols!

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's a tip about bass fishing ,,,
    for all people such as me who thought wrongly that bass fishing tournaments
    happen exclusively in the US .....
    i read that Competitive bass fishing has also spread to anglers in other countries such as Japan, Australia and South Africa.
    a Japanese angler living in Texas, won the 2004 Bassmaster Classic title
    i knew about that tip through bass fishing tips

    ReplyDelete